3D Parameter Window – OpenGL – Material
Fig.: 3D Parameters – Material Tab
This tab allows you to adjust the surface of the fractal object. You can adjust some OpenGL specific material properties as well as place a texture onto the fractal.
The specular color and emission color can be adjusted by pressing onto the corresponding small colored circle. The color selection window will appear:
This window lets you define your color by using the HSL color model (Hue-Saturation-Luminance). It contains:
The controls are updated in real time to reflect changes made to hue/saturation or luminance.
You can also assign a texture to the fractal object using the fields below. A texture is simply a standard PNG oder JPG image file which can be mapped onto the fractal object in order to give it a special look. For example you can use a “stone” image as a texture, so the fractals material seems to be a stone.
- Source: This combobox lets you choose the source of the fractal texture:
- Off – switches off texture mapping
- Fractal – perhaps you don’t want to use a special texture, perhaps you just want to use the fractal itself: By choosing this item the 2D image is used to create a texture which then will be mapped onto the fractal.
- File – you can select any PNG or JPG file: It will be loaded and used as a texture for the fractal object. A sample collection of textures has been provided with ChaosPro, more samples can be downloaded from http://www.chaospro.de.
- Mode: Mapping a texture onto such complicated structures like a fractal object is quite complicated: The base texture will be distorted in some way. Try these mapping modes to see what fits best to your fractal.
- Grid : Simply assigns the image to the fractal based on the grid defined by SizeX/SizeY (object tab).
- Stretch : Tries to detect heavily distorted areas. It then uses a heuristic method to enhance texture quality by distorting the texture.
- Spherical : Creates a spherical texture mapping.
- StartX/StartY: These parameters allow you to specify the starting position in the texture: 0 means left or top, 1 means right or bottom.
- ScaleX/ScaleY: Here you can specify the scale factors of the texture: If ScaleX equals to 3, then the texture will be repeated three times in x directions.